I received a call today.
The genetic testing is back, and they think they have found a “potential candidate.” A link between our three losses. Something that may give a reason or explanation.
They couldn’t say too much, as it’s supposed to go through the clinical team at our local hospital since they are the ones we have been working with and recommended the testing and participating in the research study. However, since we have a living child now, they requested a sample from McLovin so they can test the specific genes involved (rather than whole exome sequencing) and they should help them definitively determine whether this potential candidate is in fact the reason for our losses. If McLovin has the same genetic variant, then it’s not the reason because he is alive and well with none of the abnormalities of our first three pregnancies. If he doesn’t, then this may be it.
I gave my verbal consent for McLovin’s participation and am now awaiting the paperwork I need to sign along with the testing kits we need to use. We are trying to coordinate obtaining his blood sample (don’t want to drive to Boston and a blood sample is preferred over saliva.) The pediatrician’s office may be able to do it, if not then perhaps the hospital where our pedi is affiliated.
The Husband was a bit more apprehensive than me when discussing McLovin’s participation. I won’t go into his reasons, as it’s his to share as he sees fit and I won’t speak for him here. But if I can get an answer, then I want one. Living child or not, it doesn’t change the three losses and the pain and heartache. And if we can have an answer for our future family planning, then I want it. Not that we’ve ever discussed it, but if it doesn’t come up, I want to make as informed a decision as possible.
So there we are.